Sunday, April 7, 2019

An Open Letter from The Oscar Buzz

Scene from Marty
Hello, one and all. It's been a while since I last spoke on here. As per usual, I take the month following The Academy Awards ceremony off in order to pursue other projects and think about other things, including what's to come for the next 11 months of coverage. The good news is that I have more of the same planned. While I'll admit that the blog has been whittle down to its core essentials in recent years, it's with all hope that I still cover the important things when I can. So, what do I have in store for the immediate future? You can read on and find out what I'll be doing before the season starts picking up again.


The evolution of The Oscar Buzz has been an odd one, if just because it has come to embody more than direct Oscar coverage. As a fan of pop culture, it's hard to not want to branch out and try a variety of things to give the blog a little flavor. It's why I hope to maintain the A24 A-to-Z column until I finally catch up. My most recent entry was on Burt Reynolds' final film The Last Movie Star, and I'm coming up on some big films that include Lean on Pete, HereditarySplice, and Mid-'90s. Yes, the column is starting to reach the odd droop in the studio's history where the gambles aren't paying off. 

I am also hoping to get back into regular coverage that includes recapping trailers and reviewing movies that I think are interesting. I'll admit some disappointment in not being able to cover the recent release of the Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood trailer a few weeks back (and maybe even The Joker), but I can only imagine that there's a lot of interesting stuff coming up. I also want to do more thematically relevant columns in the months to come, but I currently don't have anything planned. I'm thinking something along the lines of like a Top 5 series or something miniature to commemorate relevant entertainment related to current releases. I wish that I could bring back Theory Thursday, but I am currently unsure that I would fulfill a frequent enough release.

There's also some good news for fans of other columns. For starters, Legitimate Theater will return this month a regular release. I am unsure what I will be writing about yet, but I'm hoping it's a good one. I've missed doing the column but enjoyed the freedom to focus on other projects. I may even do bonus columns depending on how the Tony Awards nominations turn out. I'm excited to bring it back, especially with the potential wake of Tom Hooper's Cats this winter season. I am also going to bring back Composing Greatness starting sometime next month. I am unsure who exactly I will cover but I hope to do another lengthy series. While it's unofficial at this moment, there's an off chance that I will also bring back The Runner-Ups this summer after accidentally taking last year off.

As for the immediate future, I am unsure how much I will be covering. It's dependent on what the recent releases will look like. I hope to have more opinion and anniversary pieces up. I am also currently looking to have a piece on the filmography of Bob Fosse set for this week. I may even share reviews for films that I previously reviewed on Optigrab, including How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World. I'm hoping to find ways to stay productive on here in the quiet season, but I'm sure that I'll find a way.

So welcome back, everyone. Hope your time away has been pleasant and full of fun memories. I have been busy getting other projects off the ground and working towards college graduation. Because of this, I can't promise that I'll have daily coverage, but I intend to return to providing content that I find interesting and is worth sharing. So here's hoping that you'll be seeing A24 A-to-Z, Legitimate Theater, and Composing Greatness all very soon. For now, I'm working on getting the Bob Fosse piece up by tomorrow afternoon. He's an interesting filmmaker and I can only hope that Fosse/Verdon does him justice (for a review of the premiere episode, visit Optigrab on Wednesday). So yeah, here's to another great year of covering the Oscars and that it goes a little more smoothly than it did last time around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment