Monday, May 27, 2019

An Open Letter from The Oscar Buzz

Scene from Unforgiven
As loyal readers will notice, I made some serious errors over the past month. In my last open letter, I mentioned all of these big plans for what I was going to do in May. Well, how many of them came to fruition? Almost zero percent. I want to personally apologize for doing this. I personally felt like I had set up a schedule that would work within my system. However, there was another issue. I fell ill from stress and things became increasingly difficult as I moved closer towards graduating from college. That's why Legitimate Theater and Composing Greatness didn't return. It's why A24 A-to-Z is still a bit behind. Save for the occasional review, I have been letting you down, and I want to apologize for that. The good news is that I have graduated from college. I now have more time to apply myself to this blog. So, what do I have to offer? It's a bit of a rehash, but I hope you enjoy this reminder.


As I mentioned in the opening section, my goal is predominantly to get this blog back up and running. I have recently written up my obituaries on recently deceased Oscar nominees John Singleton and Doris Day. I am working through my back catalog of A24 A-to-Z entries (I recently compiled my Backstabbing for Beginners piece and am hoping to have my First Reformed one up before the week is out). I admit that sometimes stress gets the best of me and this was one of the worst-case scenarios. I'm hoping with this free time now that I can get back to doing what I love. I hope to launch new ideas, such as the proposed opinion column that isn't quite Theory Thursday, but a miniature one that runs on Fridays. I don't know what it will look like yet, but I hope it's entertaining. As it stands, I feel like I got a lot of ideas to write about as the summer season quickly approaches (or is already here? I feel like we judge this stuff by Marvel movies now).

This, of course, means that I hope to have a lot of columns back up and running. I'll admit that I'm disappointed that I couldn't get a Legitimate Theater up for this month, as I feel like an Aladdin crossover would've been decent timing (though maybe it will come in a bonus entry?). I also hope to get other Legitimate Theater pieces up prior to the Tony Awards for recent shows like Tootsie and Beetlejuice (and if anyone has word on when the King Kong soundtrack drops, I'll do a piece on that as well). There's a lot that I'm excited to mull over within the world of Legitimate Theater, though I just need the time, which I have lacked severely.

I have also lacked the time for Composing Greatness, which is why it's launching a month behind schedule. With that said, I am thinking that an announcement is in order for this Sunday and will hopefully be a good pick. I still need to mull over whoever I want to write about for 10 or so weeks. Maybe it'll be an older name. Who knows. It's all a matter of available content (which seems to be hit and miss so far). Maybe it's Hans Zimmer, Alexandre Desplat, or someone that is more obscure and hasn't been heard from in decades? It's a tough call, but I hope to make my announcement soon.

Beyond that, I hope to do the typical routines. I hope to write reviews and keep content up to date. I recognize that I forgot to write about Cannes, which I apologize for. I also missed an opportunity to talk about Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, though I try to limit my trailer talk for a film to as few trailers as possible. Still, the movie looks really good and I cannot wait. Also, there's plenty of other non-trailer news that I could be talking about with Quentin Tarantino. So who knows. Maybe I'll be doing some make-up pieces as the months roll by. For now, I need to get the blog spruced up again, and this time I promise to not flake. I hope that what I produce is quality work and that you enjoy it. I apologize again for my absence and I hope you'll forgive me. So for now, let's look forward to whatever The Oscar Buzz will look like during the summer and hopefully produce some quality work. Thank you again for being loyal readers and I hope to not let you down.

No comments:

Post a Comment